If you're a dog owner who loves to pamper your pup with a dash of fashion, then you're in for a treat! In this free sewing project, we'll show you how to create a customizable (and reversible) dog bandana. This easy to sew project is not only a breeze to make but it's also a great gift idea! So, gather your materials, fire up your sewing machine, and let's get started on making a fashionable and functional accessory that your canine companion will proudly strut around in!
Project inspired by Blue Bee Studios for The Textile District | Photo by Nicholas Brownlow on Unsplash.
Featured fabric: Joy" Geometric in "Sunny" colorway
Skill Level: Beginner
Estimated Time: 1-2 hours
Materials you will need:
Cotton quilt fabric or any lightweight woven fabric. One yard measure 42" x 36".
Sewing machine or needle and thread
Fabric scissors or rotary cutter, pins, iron, fabric chalk or pencil, ruler, measuring tape
Cutting mat (optional)
How to Sew Reversible Dog Bandanas
Step 1: Prepare the Fabric
- Select two coordinating fabrics for the front and back of the bandana. One will be for the front and the other for the back of the bandana. Note: this will yield two reversible bandanas - one to keep, one to give!
- If you are using fabrics purchased from retail stores or other digital printers, it’s best to wash and iron the cotton quilt fabric to remove sizing and wrinkles.
- Skip this step when sewing with fabrics from The Textile District! All fabrics are project ready! Our natural fiber fabrics are steamed, washed and dried to lock the color into the fibers producing soft, vibrant, colorfast fabrics that are ready to sew and enjoy!
Step 2: Measure and Cut Fabric
- Measure your dog’s neck circumference to determine the bandana size..
- Add about 4 inches to this measurement for the ties and ease.
- Measure the fabric diagonally from upper left corner to lower right corner for each size. Using a fabric chalk or pencil, mark a square on each fabric.
- Using a clear acrylic ruler will help with design placement and ensuring your corners are square.
The standard neck sizes for dog bandanas can vary depending on the size of the dog and the intended fit of the bandana.
To measure your dog's neck size, use a soft measuring tape and wrap it comfortably around the base of their neck, allowing for a bit of extra space for ease and comfort.
Here are some general guidelines based on your dog's weight and/or breed:
|Extra Small||Up to 10 inches||Suitable for Toy breeds and very small dogs|
|Small||10-14 inches||Suitable for Small Terriers, Chihuahuas, Miniature Breeds|
|Medium||14-18 inches||Suitable for Beagles, Cocker Spaniels, Bulldogs, and similar-sized breeds|
|Large||18-22 inches||Suitable for Labradors, Golden Retrievers, Boxers, Golden Doodles, and similar-sized breeds|
|Extra Large||22 inches or more||Suitable for Suitable for larger breeds like Great Danes, Saint Bernards, and large working breeds|
Step 3: Cut the Fabric
Cut out the marked squares from both fabric pieces. You should have two fabric squares of the same size, one from each fabric print.
Step 4: Create the Triangle
- Take one fabric square from each pattern, and fold them in half diagonally with the right sides facing in.
- Press the folds with an iron to create creases.
- Open up the fabric squares and cut along the crease lines. You will now have four triangles, two from each fabric.
Step 5: Sewing
- Pair up one triangle from each fabric, matching the edges with right sides facing each other.
- Pin the triangles together along the long edge, leaving the top edge open for turning.
- Using a sewing machine or hand-sewing, sew along the pinned edge with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance.
- Backstitch at the beginning and end to secure the stitches.
6. Turn and Press
- Carefully turn each sewn triangle right side out through the open top edge.
- Use a pointed object, like a chopstick or pencil, to gently push out the corners for a clean triangle shape.
- Press the sewn triangles with an iron to smooth out the edges and creases.
7. Closing the Top Edge
- Fold the open top edges of each triangle inside by about 1/4 inch and press.
- Topstitch along the folded edge to close the tops of each triangle. This will also create a neat finished look.
8. Adding Closure
- Measure and cut a strip of Velcro or sew-on snap buttons to fit the width of the bandana's top edge.
- Attach one side of the closure to the inside of one triangle's top edge and the other side to the opposite triangle's top edge. Make sure they align properly when the bandana is folded.
9. Final Touches
- Your reversible dog bandana is complete! Fold it in half to form a triangle shape.
- Tie the bandana around your dog's neck by bringing the triangle's ends to the front and tying them securely.
- Adjust the fit as needed, and let your pup proudly wear their new, stylish bandana!
- For a little extra flare, you can personalize the bandana by adding decorative elements like fabric appliqués, surface embroidery, or even fabric paint to make it even more special for your furry friend.
Always supervise your dog while they're wearing the bandana for their safety.
© 2023 The Textile District www.thetextiledistrict.com | Need Help? Call us on 704-814-0712