Whether you are sewing apparel or items for your home, the type of fabric you should choose is generally determined by the end use of the item you are creating. Here are some tips for choosing the right fabric for your next project and information about what makes The Textile District different from traditional fabric stores:
- All fabrics are printed to order using colorfast, eco-friendly dyes.
- Our state-of-the-art finishing process produces a beautiful, soft and colorfast fabric that is ready to sew and enjoy. No pre-washing is required.
- Every order of fabric-by-the-yard is shipped on a roll. This prevents the heavy folds and creases typically found when fabrics are folded and rolled on a flat core for retail display.
- You pick the design, colorway and custom print on any substrate we offer.
- The Textile District’s fabric catalog is “evergreen" - all designs are digitally stored and always available to print in the quantities you need, each and every time.
- Fabrics are organized by design category to make it easier to shop.
- You can create multiple wish lists and save your favorites for easy ordering later.
- Need inspiration? Our blog features color stories illustrating how to mix and match designs and colors.
To learn more, Our Fabrics page includes images and specifications for every ground fabric we carry.
Tips for Mixing and Matching Colors and Patterns
We know it's sometimes tough to visualize how colors and prints may look together. Our trend boards illustrate show how easy it is to mix up prints, patterns and colors to reflect your unique style.
If you see a design you love in one of our trend boards, but prefer a different color? Click through to the product page to view the entire collection as many of our designs are offered in multiple colorways.
Have a special color request? Send us a note and let us know. We may be able to add the colors you need.
We are continually adding color stories to our Trend Boards to help guide and inspire creativity, so we hope you will bookmark our site and visit us often!
Custom Print Samples First
At The Textile District, there is no pressure to grab and stash since all of our designs are evergreen and fabrics are printed to order.
You can print several designs to make sure you really love the design, color and fabric before you commit to the full yardage required. And, if you are unsure if a base fabric, design and color combination will work for your needs, try printing samples first.
Especially if the project is large, it's always best to print one yard before committing an entire run. This step lets you see how the fabric texture, design and color work in the environment where it will be used.
The best part: all 12" x 12" samples and print to order yardage are first-quality production, so they can be made into pillows or other accessories.
So let's get started!